15 Surprising Benefits of Cucumbers
Did you know that cucumbers originated in India? Their cultivation took place for about 3000 years in Western Asia. The cultivation process started in France in the 9th century, then in England in the 14th century and finally in North America by the mid 16th century. The Romans introduced cucumbers to Europe.
Although cucumbers are fruits, we eat them as vegetables. They contain more than 90% of water.
I enjoy eating chopped cucumber slices in my salads. However, there’s much more to a cucumber than embedding it between chopped or shredded lettuce and tomatoes. Here are some of the secret benefits of cucumbers.
1. Cucumbers contain lots of vitamins: Our bodies need minerals and vitamins for them to act properly. One cucumber has your bodies’ daily needs of vitamins. These are some of the Vitamins found in cucumbers: Thiamine (Vitamin B1), riboflavin (Vitamin B2), nicatin (Vitamin B3), Vitamin B6, folic acid, calcium, iron, potassium, zinc, magnesium and phosphorous.
2. Quick Fix for Cellulite: Rub a slice of cucumber on the problem area for a few minutes. There’s a substance in the cucumber called phytochemicals. This will cause the collagen in your skin to tighten and firm up the outer layers. It works wonders on wrinkles as well.
3. Energy Booster: If you want to get rid of afternoon tiredness without resorting to using caffeine, eat some cucumber. The Vitamin B and Carbohydrates in the cucumber will offer the energy boost your body needs.
3. Hangover Cure: Are you prone to hangovers and headaches after a few drinks? Eat a few cucumber slices before going to bed. It’s refreshing and will stop you waking up with a headache.The sugar, vitamin B and electrolytes in the cucumber will replace any vital nutrients the body may have lost. In addition, it will keep your system balanced and prevent hangovers.
4. Curb Afternoon or Evening Snack Bingeing: If you want to fight those hunger pangs, eat some cucumber. It’s been used for centuries by European trappers, traders and explorers to sustain them and prevent starvation.
5. Stress Buster: Need to relax and unwind? Cut up a whole cucumber and put it in a pot of boiling water. The nutrients and chemicals from the cucumber will react with the boiling water, and release the beneficial properties through the steam. This will induce a calm, relaxing aroma in the atmosphere. This has worked to cut stress in new mothers and students taking exams.
6. Cure for Dark Circles Under Eyes: Cucumber helps to lighten dark circles under the eyes. Cut two slices of cucumber. Lay down and place one slice on each eye for 5 to 10 minutes. Close your eyes as the juice from the cucumber may irritate them. I have also used this method to brighten my eyes. It works! It’s also beneficial for soothing tired eyes; especially for those of us who stare at a computer screen for long periods.
7. Stop Bathroom Mirror from Clouding: Rub a slice of cucumber along the inner edges of the mirror. This will stop the steam from fogging up the mirror.
8. Shine Your Shoes Without Using Polish: Cut some cucumber slices and rub them over your shoes. The chemicals from the cucumber will give your shoes a lovely shine. It also repels water. Your shoes won’t lose their shine if they get wet.
9. Freshen Your Breath: To get rid of bad breath, press a slice of cucumber to the roof of your mouth. Use your tongue to hold it in place for about 30 seconds. The phytochemicals from the cucumber will destroy the bacteria which causes bad breath.
10. Magic Eraser: This is useful for rubbing out pen writing. Use the outside of a cucumber as an eraser. Use it to rub off crayon marks from walls as well.
11. Control Slugs in Your Garden: There’s nothing more annoying than slugs destroying your flower beds. Try this to keep them away. Cut some cucumber slices. Put the slices in a small tin and place it in your garden. The chemicals in the cucumber and the aluminum reacts to produce a scent. The smell is not detectable to humans but will keep those annoying slugs out of your garden.
12. Fix That Squeaky Hinge: Need to stop squeaky hinges and don’t have any WD-40? Rub a slice of cucumber along the area of the hinge that squeaks. It works like a dream.
13. Clean and Shine Your Sink and Stainless Steel Areas? Rub a slice of cucumber over the surface that you want to clean. It will remove tarnish and restore the shine. As an experiment, I rubbed a thick slice of cucumber over my glass top table and wiped off the juice with a kitchen towel. The result was a beautiful, shiny glass table. Try it for yourself.
14. Remedy for Sunburn: To soothe your sunburn skin, try this. Cut some thin slices of cucumber and put them on the sunburn area. Remove them when the cucumber starts to feel warm on your skin. They’re beneficial for delicate areas, such as the face and neck.
15. Face Mask: For oily skin – grate 1/2 cucumber into a bowl and add 1 tea-spoon of rose-water. Apply to the T-Zone, which is the forehead, nose and chin. To reduce pores and tighten skin – apply the mixture all over the face including under the eyes and eyelids. Leave on for 15 minutes and rinse with warm water. Pat dry with a clean towel.
I hope you enjoyed this article. If you have any tips on using cucumbers, please share your comments in the box below. Thank you for reading.